At Highters Heath Community School we are committed to ensuring equality of opportunity for all pupils, staff, parents and carers irrespective of race, gender, disability, belief, socio-economic background, sexual orientation or age.
Highters Heath aims to provide all pupils with equal opportunities. They should have equal access and opportunities within the curriculum, both formal and informal, so that when leaving our school they have the widest possible options available to them, educationally, socially and vocationally.
Highters Heath supports equal opportunities by countering stereotypes and prejudice, reducing the effects of sexual, racial and social discrimination, while at the same time acknowledging the diverse cultural and educational needs of our pupils.
Equality of opportunity for all children is essential, whatever their age, ability, gender, race or background. We recognise that a child’s self-perception can be influenced by his or her environment. We want all our pupils to achieve their full potential during their time with us. We work to ensure that our expectations, attitudes, and practices do not prevent any child from fulfilling his or her potential.
We promote the principles and practices of equality and justice throughout the school and we aim to be a school where everyone is respected and where we show respect for others.
Highters Heath Equality Objectives
1. To narrow the gap between boys and girls, particularly in writing.
2. To increase understanding between religious groups.
3. To provide opportunities for pupils to appreciate their own culture and celebrate the diversity of other cultures.
4. To encourage boys and girls to consider non-stereotyped career options.
5. To prepare pupils for life in a diverse society.
6. To promote attitudes and values that challenge any discriminatory behaviour or prejudice.